Saturday, September 20, 2008

Puberty Procees - Reading 2

I found several items in chapter 2 to be quite interesting. I think what I found to be the most interesting is how the process of puberty is viewed differently in other cultures. I suppose I knew this already, but it really got me thinking.

In America, puberty and the changes associated is often viewed as a negative time in a person's life. In other cultures, it is celebrated and signifies the passage into adulthood. At one time, people at the puberty stage were considered adults, and married off here in the United States. As the book mentioned, this changed due to longer life spans, changing laws regarding education, etc. I am a bit curious to figure out exactly when the shift from an important event to something that is almost taboo to discuss actually occurred.

I suppose I was relatively lucky to have a mother whom was very open with discussion about puberty, changes, sex life etc. I was well informed, so I did not see it as a major event, or anything to get upset about. I was very surprised by the apparent lack of discussion that the book cites between parents and children regarding puberty.

I do not understand why parents would rather have a school inform their children about the physical and psychological changes that occur during puberty, than talk to their own children. I suppose this might stem from being brought up in a very "open" house. I think some parents might think that talking about puberty or sex with their children gives children a license to behave in a sexual manner. However, I also believe that these same parents who would rather leave the sex education up to the school are the same ones having a fit when the schools offer students free condoms.

Okay, I'm starting to get away from the reading a bit here.......
I found the reading, although a bit dry, to be very interesting and informative. One thing I did notice though..... there was no mention of the "voice change" in males. Being female, I would have liked to know if there are any possible negative psychological effects, i.e. embarrassment / low self esteem associated with that for males, like there is for a first bra of first period for females.

No comments: